Long stay visa for internship
- Holders of a long stay visa as scientists, researchers or university teachers are now allowed to reside in France for up to 12 months according to the validity of their visa. They will no longer be required to obtain a residence permit ("carte de séjour") from the French local authorities ("Préfecture") as long as their visa is valid.
- However, they will have to register to the French Office of Immigration and Integration (OFII)->www.ofii.fr
Yes except if you are a citizen of Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco or of the European Economic Area :
Also special rules apply for family members of an European Union citizen.
For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Chicago.
Please bear in mind that applications cannot be processed more than 3 months before your departure date.
The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.
ATTENTION : you can not apply more than 90 days prior to the start date of your contract ("convention de stage")
To use the system, the following configuration is required :
Firefox 1.0 and higher
Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment .
No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.
Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.
2 months for citizens from :
|US Re-entry permit||US Refugee travel document||Rwanda|
|Syria||Yemen||United Arab Emirates|
It may take about 21 days for all other nationalities.
- Passport valid for at least three months after your return to the US + 1 photocopy of the identity pages. Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
- Processing fee
- One application form (click here for the English version) filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
- One US passport size photo on a white background with no glasses and no hat and please do not smile
- The "convention de stage" (original + ONE COPY) signed by you, your employer in France, your school or university or by the cultural office of the French Embassy, and stamped by the French Labor Department (DIRECCTE) .
- One residence form duly filled out (upper part only)
- Financial guarantee such as a proof of personal income and your last three bank statements or a notarized statement from a guarantor declaring that the guarantor will provide the student applicant with at least $820 per month, accompanied by the guarantor’s most recent bank statement.
- Proof of accomodation in France (title deeds, lease or rental agreement).
- Proof of medical insurance
- If you are not a U.S. citizen : a valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document.
- A self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY - NO FEDEX / UPS / AIRBORNE EXPRESS accepted.
Please do NOT stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :
|CONSULATE GENERAL OF FRANCE|
205N. Michigan Ave, Suite 3700
CHICAGO, IL 60601
|Your full name|
- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.